I’ve had my share of hormones imbalances at a very young age which started with PCOS. Further down the line, I was devastated with a diagnosis of premature menopause and autoimmune thyroid disease. Without a doubt, my hormones were a mess, and on top of it all, my beautiful long, thick black hair started falling out in clumps. I even noticed a few grey hairs. Every day became worse. Maybe you can relate. If you have a hormone imbalance, you are ageing prematurely and your natural levels of hormones start to change, no wonder you may notice that your hair has started to thin.
So many of my clients have dealt with this and I am going to share today what helps. Shilpa, one of my clients shared her story with me that she was losing bags of hair every day. She was scared that she would go bald. After following my recommendations, the hair loss stopped and she also lost 7 kg weight effortlessly at the age of 35.
What exactly is going on?
Hair loss is caused by hormone imbalance. Following are patterns which I regularly see
- Increased testosterone in proportion to estrogen and progesterone.
- Overactive or underactive thyroid: This a group of hormones that controls metabolism, weight, mood and temperature. Both conditions can push hair into a falling-out phase.
- Excess estrogen or not enough: This hormone is responsible for menstrual cycle and female sex characteristic among other things. It plays a role in awakening hair follicles from their resting stage and signalling them to enter their growth phase.
- Low levels of progesterone: This hormone is responsible for menstrual cycles and pregnancy. Chronic stress can deplete it, and stress is often a cause of hair loss.
- Increased cortisol: This is a big one!! Persistent stress causes the adrenal glands to pump out lots of this stress hormone for extended periods. While the adrenal glands are busy churning out extra cortisol, they make less of the hormones that support healthy hair growth. Cortisol also increases the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the very androgenic hormone that causes male pattern baldness which I experienced a lot of my clients have too.
So that’s what is happening.
The good news is that you can reverse these hormone imbalances and start re-growing your hair again.
While hair tonics, castor oil massage with essential oils, herbs and bioidentical hormones can help, especially progesterone, the answer is not only found at the bottom of the pill bottle. Sometimes it can make it worse if we don’t heal the ROOT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM. Living in Truhealing lifestyle can help details of which can be found at my website www.truhealing.com , today I am sharing my top 3 tips here:
- Balance the three master hormones and sorry they are not estrogen or progesterone: To harmonize the hormones listed above, you’ve got to tackle insulin, cortisol, and oxytocin. When these are in sync, so is your estrogen, testosterone, thyroid, and progesterone. You can do this through my Truhealing diet – a protocol that is high in fat, high in vegetables, (which nourishes hair roots), low in carbs, and moderate in protein (which is essential for healthy hair follicles) – This revolutionary hormone balancing diet provides tasty, filling options for meals that help balance your hormones naturally and thus preventing and stopping hair fall which may be wrecking your life and self-esteem.
- Cut down on stress which damages hair: One of the best ways to tame this beast cortisol levels is by making lifestyle changes. Stay in alkaline pH by focussing on fresh veggies and fruits. Meditate. Incorporate activities you love into your daily routine. Maybe your hobbies like music or painting which relaxes you—being in nature, reading a great book, or whatever makes you happy…there is no right or wrong thing in that. Practice yoga or other daily physical activities. Take a deep breath and take time out of for yourself.
- Support our thyroid: This begins with hair-friendly minerals such as selenium, iodine, and zinc. Eat two Brazil nuts nightly (which provide approximately 200 micrograms of selenium); oysters are rich in zinc; and sushi or seaweed for natural iodine. Supplement with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. They are all great hair tonics.
So now you know, Reversing hair loss is all about fixing your hormones and doing it naturally!
If you want to take advantage of my hair-saving, hormone-balancing, life-saving plan and feel like your best self again, simply go to wwwtruhealing.com and download free food guide (https://www.truhealing.com/pdf/food.pdf). This is your chance to restore your health and beauty now – so please don’t miss it!.
Need a healthy smoothie recipe to get motivated? Try the recipe below!
Always have at least one green smoothie every day, preferably for the rest of your life.
How easy is it to make? VERY!
All you need is: 1 bunch of celery
Some mint leaves
1 cup of apple
2 cups water/ coconut water
And all you got to do is BLEND, BLEND AND BLEND!
Smoothie is a perfect way to incorporate superfoods into your diet, help nourish your hair roots and promote healthy hair follicles – plus it’s full of hair-restoring, alkalizing foods!
Dr Disha is an OB/GYN and creator of Truhealing which is a community for natural hormone balancing for women.
Follow her for more content on hormonal imbalances created to empower women — not just treat them.
Links to follow Dr. Disha Sridhar:
Instagram – truhealing_dr.disha
Facebook – @Dr.DishaTruHealing